Sunday, April 14, 2013

Shamu or Shampoo?

          Matt was at work chit-chatting with his coworkers when the topic of SeaWorld came up.

          "Ya, I went to SeaWorld in San Diego when I was younger," Matt bragged. "I even saw Shamu the killer whale, and it was so cool! Except at the time I thought her name was 'Shampoo,' I couldn't seem to get that one right..." His coworker Evan snorted, but Matt continued on- "One day though, future generations will ask me what it was like to have seen the legendary Shamu." He smiled in a superior manner.

          His coworker David gave him a quizzical look. "You do realize Matt, that Shamu died back in the 70's, right?"

          Matt's hopes and dreams were shattered.

          "What?! No way, that is not true. I saw Shamu with my very eyes, I even have a friggin photo and a keychain!" he exclaimed.

          "Ya, well... they've been calling all the killer whales Shamu ever since the first one died." David bit his bottom lip. "Sorry Matt..."

          Matt leaned against a Kenmore Elite washing machine for support. "You mean, all this time my precious Shampoo was nothing but a lie? This is deception in the worst of ways," he moaned. "I feel so cheated!"

          David and Evan continued to talk while Matt considered what this meant to his life. He was definitely going to have to burn his photo of the 'fake Shamu' when he got home. He couldn't live with a lie. Feeling frustrated he finally spoke up again. "This is a sham. I bet the only reason poor Shamu died was because she was held captive in nothing more than a giant bathtub. Probably whales in the wild live longer because they are able to swim across the whole ocean like Free Willy."

          "I dunno though," David piped up. "I'm sure that whales at SeaWorld have better health-care benefits than whales in the wild."

          It was Matt's turn to laugh now. He and Evan were in stitches and Matt didn't think he was going to be able to breathe at the thought of killer whales having health-care benefits. He wonders if they have a copay or if their insurance foots the bill?

          "I think they even have their teeth taken care of," David continued, "kind of like whale dentists."

          Matt has to thank David for such a hysterical comment, as it definitely cheered him up. If 'Shampoo' had to die, at least she received great health-care benefits while living at SeaWorld...  ;-)


2 comments:

  1. bah ha ha ha!! I love how u specified which appliance you leaned up against. oh matt... :) love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I did! Small details are sometimes the funnest part :)

    ReplyDelete